Monday, February 12, 2024

Untitled (Big Apple Slices)

Zoe Byszynski
November 4th, 2022
@habitually_a_mess

I like the city from a distance

            When I'm not in it.


You can try to get away from it.

To carry nothing except the clothes on your back

            and the pit in your stomach

As you look for solutions in the landscape,

            the cracks in the sidewalk,

                        the gutter,

You realize the sunsets look the same,

            the lines in the supermarket are just as long,

                        and milk spoils if you keep it out


Displated in my mind

Twisting you inch by inch

Switching you frame by frame

Salting you to the taste

Keeping you- in concept


I know you enough to invade your bed,

            but not enough to keep you awake


Just because the line from me to you is taught,

doesn't make the ground any closer.

Leaving who I was at the first step,

doesn't mean I'll love you more at my last.

You could've met me in the middle,

but where's there to go from there

besides the 2,000 feet below us.


You've made me too good for you.


You're younger,

But you smile just as brightly

            At this girl

she looks familiar,

            But I've only seen her through glass

                        In a puddle,

                                    Or the back of my spoon at some worn down diner.

And though you're smiling at her,

            Your eyes are fixed past her

                        At this boy.

Who you've never met besides in the back of your eyelids.

The four of us delicately longing.

It's admirable,

            The lies we tell each other out of love

                        But never in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment